It was in 1795 that The Black Watch is known to have adopted the Red Hackle in its bonnets, the most distinctive feature of the Regiment’s uniform. The stories relating to its origin are numerous but it was certainly issued to the men at Royston, Hertfordshire that year. Others began to copy this but in 1822 an Army Order laid down that it was “to be used exclusively by the 42nd Regiment”. Since then it has been worn in action in many parts of the World and is a much prized distinguishing mark.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
© The Black Watch Castle and Museum
The Black Watch Museum is a charitable company registered in Scotland | Charity No: SC005848